Numerous renters have become interested in living more sustainably. And a large part of sustainable living is reusing food containers as often as you can. Glass jars are especially easy to repurpose since they can be washed and then re-filled or used to build something new. If you’ve been looking for ways to reuse glass jars, here are ten tips for how to get started!
- Store bulk food items. Clean glass jars are brilliant for storing food items bought in bulk, including nuts and seeds, grains, and baking essentials.
- Quick and easy meals. Use glass jars to save your leftovers or make overnight oats for the scrumptious breakfast. For lunch, you can layer salad and toppings in a jar for an easy take-along meal.
- Drinks all around! Some glass jars can make fun glassware for beverages. Canning jars are also sturdier than many other kinds of glassware, which makes them perfect for the dishwasher and to use for all kinds of events, indoors and out.
- Create a hanging spice rack. Small glass jars can make an artistic and structured hanging spice rack for your kitchen. Just screw the lids of baby food jars to the underside of your cabinets, fill the jars with their favorite spices, and twist them on. This idea works terrific in the garage to store small hardware, too!
- Add natural beauty. For a fast and simple touch of beauty, why not use a glass jar as a vase? Add flowers and water and present them in your favorite spot.
- Light it up. Repurposed glass jars also function well as tealight holders. To create one, fill the bottom of a fresh glass jar with sand, beads, or tiny pebbles, and add a tealight candle. Display on a table, or add a handle of wire or twine to hang
- Get down to earth. Another creative way to use glass jars is to create a terrarium. Using soil, pebbles, bark, dried flowers, or anything else you want, make a more visually interesting display in a jar. These work great for home décor or to give as gifts.
- Give the gift of dessert. You can use repurposed glass jars to create a tasty treat for friends and neighbors. Layer the dry ingredients for cookies or brownies in the jar, add a bow and baking instructions, and gift away!
- Helpful home storage. Glass jars work very well to store small household items, such as cotton swabs, makeup, office supplies, and more. For a more creative twist, you could decorate the jar with paint, markers, or ribbon and then display it on a vanity, shelf, or desk.
- Save it up. If you are saving up for something special, you can use one or more glass jars to help you see the progress you are making. Glass jars can hold loose coins and bills or even slips of paper. Drop them in and watch your savings grow toward your dream come true!
If you’re looking for a new Framingham rental home to try out fun sustainability ideas in, Real Property Management MetroWest-Worcester can help! Check out our listings and apply online today.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.